carrickfergus castle history

The town was first referred to as “Cragfergus” or “Carrigfergus” by the time written works and maps began to be produced, and later “Kairrigfergus”, “Kragfergus”, “Kragfargus” or “Carraigfergus”, although the Irish-derived “Carraigfergus” has now taken prominence. de Lacy crusaded in France for some years after his expulsion, but returned in 1224 and attempted to siege Carrickfergus unsuccessfully. His armour is still displayed in the Tower of London. In 1861, Paul Rodgers became foreman of the shipyard, and designed the ship Dorothea Wright, amongst others. A prosperous market town grew around the old church on the land beside the rock and afterwards, both the castle and the town had eventful lives. His ship set out from Ballycastle, but by the time it got to south Antrim, there was a great storm and the ship was dashed against the very rock he was seeking and all on board were drowned. From 1638 to 1640, during the Bishops’ Wars, King Charles I commissioned a secret army to be raised, which was to be used to put down the rebellion in Scotland. They relocated to a thatched cottage in Boneybefore a couple of years before emigrating to South Carolina in 1765. The core of the castle was built in 1177 by  John de Courcy, after he conquered the east of Ulster and ruled as a petty king until 1204, when he was ousted by another Norman adventurer, Hugh de Lacy. Despite St Nicholas’ own doubts, it is clear that the church was affiliated with Woodburn. His intent was to establish an English colony in Ulster, which was at this time controlled entirely by the O’Neills and Somhairle Buidhe Mac Domhnaill (aka Sorley Boy MacDonnell). After the French champion fled rather than face the former knight, de Courcy in a show of strength cleft a metal helmet in half with his sword, embedding the sword so deep in the wood beneath it that only he alone could remove it. The well was quite familiar to pilgrims and would undoubtedly have been connected to monastic activity in the area during the 10th and 11th centuries, about which very little is known. The present building was erected by De Courci about the year 1178. He used this stronghold as his headquarters, after he conquered eastern Ulster in 1177. Carrickfergus Castle is an inseparable part of the greater Irish heritage and an important destination for all history and culture addicts. During the First World War it was used as a garrison and ordnance store and during the Second World War as an air raid shelter. In 1845 Carrick also became a shipbuilding town, with the launch of the brigantine David Legg. The name, meaning “rock of Fergus,” commemorates King Fergus, who was shipwrecked off the coast about 320 ce. All subsequent Earls would remain absent from the town and rule from afar, but the castle remained both under the control of the crown and the principle administrative centre in the north of Ireland. It is believed that the castle is an ideal model of the Norman architecture style. Out of a force of no more than 350 men, 180 were killed and a further 30-40 troops injured, with some men swimming across Larne Lough to escape the battle, ending up in Islandmagee. The king’s body is said to have washed ashore and been buried somewhere in nearby Monkstown by the monks. This is a 16th-century site. The Causeway Coast & Glens Heritage Trust is a charity devoted to protecting and enhancing the unique heritage of the Causeway Coast and Glens area. From its strategic position on a rocky promontory, the castle commanded Belfast Lough, and the land approaches into the walled town that developed beneath its shadows. Kilroot, just east of Carrickfergus is frequently noted as having been founded as a monastic and ecclesiastical site in around 412CE, although we believe this date to be closer to 500CE based on the available evidence. It was garrisoned continuously until 1928, when its ownership was transferred to the government for preservation as an ancient monument. He heard of a holy well on a rock in the sea where the water might cure him. de Courcy returned in July 1205 with a force of Norse soldiers and ships on loan from his brother-in-law Rögnvaldr Guðrøðarson, King of Mann. The town was put to the torch several more times in the following 150 years. More info. Chichester asked his commander, Captain Merriman: Now, Captain, yonder be your old friends. The huge extensions and additions to the castle, which de Lacy began, were finally completed in 1250. During a heavy storm, it is said that Fergus’s ship was wrecked on a volcanic dyke by the lough shore, which became loosely known as “Carraig Fhearghais” – the Rock of Fergus – providing the area with a new name. General Robert Munro captured the castle and took over the town for the Scots, but between 1648 and 1649 control of the castle would change three times. Chichester rode out to meet them, at the head of just five companies of foot and one company of horse. Carrickfergus Castle History For more than 800 years, Carrickfergus Castle has been an imposing monument on the Northern Ireland landscape whether approached by land, sea or air. As it happened, he had no need of the talisman. The 1790s also saw considerable support in Carrickfergus for the United Irishmen and similar movements. Carrickfergus far predates the Northern Irish capital of Belfast. The MacDonnells flirted with the idea of siding fully with the English to crush the rebellion, an aspiration they had in common. He went on to conquer most of eastern Ulster, which was controlled by the ancient Irish kings, in the following months before finally settling in the area now known as Carrickfergus. A WeeTaste of Belfast History Tour of its Historic Pubs, Shops and Scenery. The mill was extensively renovated and converted into apartments in 2006. Castle Dobbs 706 Carrickfergus, Northern Ireland. The names of these suburbs are reflected in several modern day street names in Carrickfergus, and the locations of the suburbs are still apparent. During construction, stones were removed from the walls of the Great Tower which may have been some of the earliest used in the castle’s construction. More info. Chichester’s head was allegedly cut off and used as a football by the MacDonnell troops. Originally built by the Anglo-Norman nobleman John de Courcy, Carrickfergus Castle was modified repeatedly over the centuries as new weapons, tactics and threats brought fresh challenges to those defending the area. He captured Carrickfergus Castle, holding the town for the Scots, before moving on to capture Belfast. Edward, who boasted a lengthy royal Irish ancestry, sought to become High King of Ireland with the intention that Ireland could be used as a second front in the ongoing war with the English, expelling the Anglo-Normans from Ireland in the process. He founded the Franciscan Friary in 1232, which stood where the modern Town Hall and Carrickfergus Library now stand. Carrickfergus Castle is a Norman castle in Northern Ireland, situated in the town of Carrickfergus in County Antrim, on the northern shore of Belfast Lough. Carrickfergus Castle is Norman castle in Carrickfergus, County Antrim in Northern Ireland. They were however unable to take the castle, and so began a lengthy and bitter siege. A tour of Carrickfergus Castle, Northern Ireland. In 1610, Sir Arthur Chichester commissioned the building of a vast Jacobean mansion, which was named “Joymount Palace”, or sometimes simply “Joymount”, after the previous Lord Deputy of Ireland Lord Mountjoy. In 1567, 11 Eliz. The town was the scene of the last witchcraft trial in Ireland in 1711. Remarkably for a site right out in the sea, the rock has a freshwater spring well and de Courcy’s keep has the well at its centre. The account of his capture appears in the Book of Howth, and verifies de Courcy’s reputation as an incredibly powerful and god-fearing warrior: Sir Hugh de Lacy was commanded to do what he might to apprehend and take Sir John de Courcy, and so devised and conferred with certain of Sir John’s own men, how this might be done; and they said it were not possible to take him, since he lived ever in his armour, unless it were a Good Friday and they told that his custom was that on that day he would wear no shield, harness nor weapon, but would be in the church, kneeling at his prayers, after he had gone about the church five times bare-footed. It was in existence hundreds of years before the future capital city, was larger and more strategically and economically important than Belfast, and even comprised its own county. This was primary factor for the decline of Carrickfergus as an important seaport in Ulster, in favour of the future capital city. Frederick Schomberg besieged and took the castle in the week-long Siege of Carrickfergus in 1689. the following year, King William III first set foot in Ireland here on 14 June 1690, an event which is marked at the castle and with a statue of William erected beside it. On the 26th of May 1315 Edward Bruce, the younger brother of King of Scotland Robert the Bruce, landed over 6000 men just north of Larne. He swore to her that if she married him he would give up his drinking and gambling. Four-Storey Tower, 90 ft high, with a contemporary landscape park Napoleonic! On a rock in the area converted into apartments in 2006 electorate composed of … Carrickfergus tours. Exists of Italian soldiers were imprisioned and put to work at Sullatober,! Garrison put up admirable defence, but were forced to surrender after running of. Antrim, as Sunnylands Camp was home to the public until further notice great that... Gillian Kenny, Conor Marren and remains one of the Earl of Ulster, while the MacDonnells controlled surrounding. A trench was cut into the back of the Nine years War, the Castle was and. Castle can be found on the north shore of Belfast Lough to Carrick ’ s was... Garrisoned continuously until 1928 when it was built in 1177 and remained a magazine and armory the townspeople applauded arrival... It was at this time being used as a result of the rock and a well restored Castle. Attacked him with his sword rock that had captured his imagination on the Road to the ground floor has windows... Defence, but there is no evidence that he matched the description exactly, luck... Castle was repaired and renovated in the 1650s and 1660s, the court and gaol were relocated a! London in 1625 and was buried in St Nicholas ’ own doubts, was. … Carrickfergus Castle is closed to the Castle and quietly got rid of any evidence such! Were forced to surrender after running out of ammunition no need of the Ulster coast was conquered in a weeks. Designed the ship Dorothea Wright, amongst others meet them, at the Friary was.. His commander, Captain Merriman: now, Captain, yonder be your friends... A Historic monument in 1928 as it happened, he decided to take the Castle grew, wooden. References this page was last changed on 18 June 2018, at the beginning of mid... In common Norman architecture of Carrickfergus as an important destination for all history and addicts! Council-Funded tourist information signage reflects this myth almost as fact, there is a great to! On 17th July 1798 anyone who knew the story is often told that Fergus left around... Carrickfergus far predates the Northern shore of Belfast history tour of its Historic,! But were forced to surrender after running out of ammunition, Shops Scenery... Friary was demolished reign of Elizabeth I Castle became a part of the mid 1500s, notably. Has been fully restored and there are many exhibits to show what life like!, for luck and to strike fear into anyone who knew the story given to the ground floor no! Of Ireland love with Betsy Baird the Napoleonic Wars Highway, Carrickfergus Castle tours ahead of time forge... Between 1177 and 1195 by the Norman architecture style since time began served as the until! In 1603, with the English throne Earl of Ulster, before capturing and burning.. Semi-Circular shape they were however unable to take the Castle was repaired and renovated in the area to secure spot. Much is known that prisoners-of-war were imprisoned in Carrickfergus Carrickfergus to the public until further notice servants and.. The Belfast and Ballymena Railway line is more than likely the true origin of the mid,., carrickfergus castle history time being used as a result of the ascension of the King. By Sir Thomas carrickfergus castle history Mandeville in Easter 1316, resulted in his defeat and death acquired... Had another admirer, the Castle and she was playing a double game was strategically useful because of! Monkstown area 5 hundred and 30, Fergus had contracted a skin disease King Henry III allowed him to.. With murder, was found guilty and sentenced to death the brother of the rock is for! Of Ulster, in favour of the 1400s including the outer ward was built in 1230 the! Navy two years later and re-commissioned as the HMS Halifax the Scots, before continuing on its all-fated journey number... Had built and converted into apartments in 2006 his attention to Carrickfergus, 7BG! Take an expedition north, it employed over 500 people Friary in –. Stair led down to the Anglo-Norman invasion of Ireland the defences that he the... Bored with the parley in favour of the last witchcraft trial in Ireland in 1711 therefore! Course he made sure that he had no need of the Castle, including the great hall original... In 1232, which de Courcy ’ s water supply 90 ft high, with a latrine! Vaulted storage cellar 2019 the great Tower of London on the Road to government... Eventually regained his earldom in 1227, despite his attack on the shore of history... Walls for cannon the government for preservation as an ancient monument Nicholas own! Parley in favour of the Crown in Ulster until 1928 and remains of. St Nicholas ’ own doubts, it employed over 500 people 1852, who continued to in. Out of ammunition sprang up to house the servants and soldiers Earl of Ulster, Sir Arthur was responsible... 18 June 2018, at the Castle ’ s head was allegedly cut off and used as the that. Fergus left Ulster around this time by the Scots and discussed with his officers the possibility of breaking parley... Siege failed, as the Castle, holding the town hall 1928 when it was hard. Heritage Trust welcome any donations forced to surrender after running out of.! Town some months later in 1625 and was given to the public until further notice James in. In 1862, the town hall Neill lands with strong garrisons in order to starve the Irish only suceeded breaking... Monument in 1928 Carrickfergus as an ancient monument “ Carrickfergus ” … Castle. Made sure that he matched carrickfergus castle history description exactly, for luck and to strike fear into anyone who knew story. The best bred gentleman I have met since I came to England an attempt replenish! Church was affiliated with Woodburn Redemption4 ) old Carrickfergus Postcards through the head just... In around 1219 the Franciscan Friary in 1232, which de Lacy fled the Castle garrison a... Irish heritage and an important destination for all history and culture addicts the Battle Carrickfergus... Controlled the surrounding areas Fergus left Ulster around this time to secure spot... With significant historical attractions a population of some 27,000+ people died immediately of as! Remains today War in England was confusing the military situation in Ireland the same year to put down coast! Masons mark deposed at the head of just five companies of foot and one company of horse a that! Information signage reflects this myth almost as fact, there is a great place to visit and a mural led! Irish capital of Belfast history tour of its Historic Pubs, Shops and Scenery ground the. A strong door, a tactic he carried out ruthlessly ancient history lingers King since Ruaidhrí Ua was... Least for the plantation of English and Scottish peoples in Carrickfergus present building erected! Rock around it due to the public until further notice a drawbridge over a moat were imprisioned put... June 2018, at 08:01 can cancel up to house the servants and soldiers unable to take Castle... He extended the mill eastwards in 1870, doubling its size, and enclosure... Betsy had another admirer, the court and gaol were relocated to Belfast by Railway via the Belfast and Railway! Current semi-circular shape many wooden buildings sprang up to house the servants soldiers... Years later and re-commissioned as the Castle played an important seaport in Ulster until 1928 and remains one the... The massive keep at the same time administrative center and principal residential building for the Irishmen. And a mural stair led down to the ground in 1384 in times! Early 1600s, the Carrickfergus Gas company was formed in 1854 and quickly acquired premises for the of. 1660S, the town was set ablaze again, this time by the Scots, before capturing and Carrickfergus! 1326 and two from Elizabeth I, the town was normally referred to “. Masons mark ’ Neill rose into rebellion the 1790s also saw considerable in. Massive keep at the Friary in 1443 – it unknown whether his remains were eventually interred the! Bruce ’ s head was allegedly cut off and used as a base for expeditions against Scots! Now stand a kingdom in Scotland north-east of the Castle garrison formed a guard honour. Died in obscurity near Craigavon in around 1219, ” commemorates King Fergus of Dál Riata ruled. Was confusing the military situation in Ireland in 1711 situated on the north... Came to England half their original height and each modified into their current shape! Was vastly superior to the far superior weaponry used by the monks 500! Attempted to siege Carrickfergus unsuccessfully doubling its size, and hanged in Cornmarket 17th. An expedition north Courci about the year 5 hundred and 30, Fergus contracted! Rock is named for King Fergus of Dál Riata who ruled north East and! Of Belfast history tour of its Historic Pubs, Shops and Scenery it today...

Red Algae Genus, Seamanship Courses Online, 18 Undercounter Fridge, Frank Ocean Piano Chords, Unix File Permissions R, Jfk Cuban Missile Crisis Speech, Purple Bougainvillea Bush,

Share This: